“If a child can't learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way they learn.”
-- Ignacio Estrada

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Solar System

photo from http://coolcosmos.ipac.caltech.edu/cosmic_kids/AskKids/planets_order.shtml



As we conclude this school year, I decided (with some convincing from a very adorable kindergartener) to do a unit on The Solar System. Nothing like telling him we are doing this theme and having him, look up at me and say "Awthum! Tank oo!" (Translation: "Awesome! Thank you!") Pretty cool. Not sure last time, if ever, a student thanked me for making him work.

Anyway, I thought I would post a few websites we will be using during out unit if you would like to try them at home.

Now, I'm off to do my research because I'm not sure the last time that I learned about The Solar System!

~Melanie

Astronomy for Kids

The Nine Planets

Qwiki
** Caution with this website, adult supervision required as content is not screened. All video clips used in class were pre-screened by me, prior to us watching in class. Do not let student utilize this site without adult supervision.

No comments:

Post a Comment