“If a child can't learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way they learn.”
-- Ignacio Estrada

Thursday, June 16, 2011

How to Read Books with Children with Language Delays

This article was posted by a Facebook colleague from Maryland. We know reading to children is so important. This ASHA article talks about reading to children with language delays. It gives some great tips like reading face to face with your child and making sure your mouth is not covered as well as what type of books to choose.


http://blog.asha.org/2011/06/14/how-to-read-books-with-children-with-language-delay/

What book or kinds of books do you enjoy reading with your kids? Leave a comment and let me know!

To my students, I enjoy reading books with repetitive text so that students get the benefit of hearing/saying the same phrase as well as I can easily program the phrase on a big mack to allow all students to take a turn reading.

To my 5 year old daughter, I love to read her The Magic Treehouse books. The imagination of the characters fits perfectly with her own imagination and I like that most of the events have a historical basis.

To my 3 year old son, I love to let him pick out books and have him "read" to me. The stories I get about Lightening McQueen and Dinosaurs are amazing.

Happy Reading!
~Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment